- How long will my Cedar Shake roof last?
- There is no real simple answer, but one thing is for certain, if your maintain your roof it will last longer.
- What is the deal with roofing warranties?
- The simple answer is buy from the contractors with proper manufacturers certification and you will get what is advertised. Buy from someone else and your paying for something you will never get.
- When it snows we are getting ice on our roof and gutters. What is this?
- This is called ice damming.
Ice dams are the accumulation of ice at the eaves and valleys of roofs, and in some winters create major problems. Insufficient attic insulation and/or attic ventilation can cause roof snow to melt and slide down to the eaves, where the roof surface is cooler and the melting snow freezes to the roof. Subsequent melting causes water to pool behind this dam and sometimes the water seeps between the shingle layers, wetting the roof deck and possibly the walls and ceilings below.
- What is attic Ventilation?
- Attic ventilation is an important part of roofing. Proper attic ventilation extends the life of a roof and reduces problems because it minimizes the temperature differential between the attic and the air outside. Proper ventilation will remove moisture and heat from the attic. Trapped heat and moisture can raise energy costs, cause ice dams, and damage roof system components or structure. Condensation that forms inside attics can be caused by the use of washing machines, dish washers, bath tubs, showers, and tumble driers unless these items are properly ventilated through the roof. In some cases the condensation can be bad enough to be mistaken for a roof leak.
Roofing Frequently Asked Questions.